Electrical and Computer Engineering at UNB has, over its history, developed research strengths in areas of Control Systems, Biomedical Signal Processing and Power. ECE continues to keep our strengths in these areas, however during the last five years, has made great strides in Sustainable Energy Research, Fibre Optics, Communications and Software Engineering.
- The Institute of Biomedical Engineering, in particular, remains a world leader in the research and clinical aspects of advanced myoelectric control systems as well as biomechanics and motion analysis, design of specialized prosthetic components, and modeling of neuromuscular systems.
- The Optical Fibre Systems Research Laboratory has been successful in developing and patenting fibre optic cables for distributed strain and temperature sensing. The importance of industrial sponsors has allowed the researchers in this field to develop commercialized products and continue to develop other commercial applications.
- Renewable Energy Research has been aggressively pursued in areas of power electronics and inverter design; renewable energy systems and distributed generation; harmonics, power quality, protection, fault detection; fuzzy logic, neural networks, genetic algorithms; multimedia and enhanced learning; planning, operation and control; and, protection and security; HVDC transmission; electric drives and power system control.
- ECE maintains active research strength in the areas of pattern classification, adaptive signal processing, speech and image processing, voice-biometric authentication, time-frequency analysis, neural networks; data mining; speech recognition; physical layer computer communications; and software and hardware solutions.
- Researchers involved in embedded system design, system-on-chip development, analog flows, photonics (etc) are able to undertake research with the support of CMC Microsystems who allow access to state-of-the-art technologies.
- Controls and instrumentation research work is carried out by faculty involved in control system analysis and design; monitoring, failure detection and isolation; computer control systems; robot controls; nonlinear systems and system identification.
- Software tools provide interoperability between users as consumers and diverse forms of electronic information, methods and algorithms, semantic web and global information exchange are key areas for those researchers in Software Systems Research.